Monday, January 28, 2008

Be careful ! Copying files...

Some of you have already experienced the unexpected joy of having almost-surely lost a couple of hours during some file rearrangement. I'm sure (because I have to admint that I did!) that you hated during a tiny moment the Mac OS's Finder.

Here's a tip that could have saved you some time. During file/folder rearrangement, you might see this warning window appearing: This happens when your are trying to move/copy a folder (new) to a location where another folder (old) with the same name already exist (and might also contain files).

If you clik on REPLACE: the folder "old" will be deleted (not even stored in the trash!) and completely replace with the new one. This means that the files inside the folder "old" will be lost! This is not happening on PC's where the content of the two folder is merged, and if two files have the same name a replace message will pop up to ask confirmation (in this case also the specific file is lost!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mat, you are right! I did also the mistake. Thanks to you I understand what I did !

Thieu said...

:-)